FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEWHO YOU GONNA CALL?
TELEVISION'S LONGEST-RUNNING SPOOKY CARTOON AND FUNNY FAN FAVORITE
FINALLY ESCAPES THE GHOST TRAP TO HAUNT THE DVD REALM
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS:
THE COMPLETE SERIES
The Animated Series That's As Big As The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man Finally
Comes To Home Video, With All 147 Episodes of The Real Ghostbusters
And Slimer! And The Real Ghostbusters In Remastered Clarity
Packaged In A Collectible 25-DVD Set
Over 12 Hours of Bonus Features Includes Never-Before-Seen Footage,
Twenty-One On-Camera Episode Commentaries, Five Documentaries,
Extended Interviews, Episode Introductions, Scripts, Art, And Much More
AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE AT
FAIRFAX, VA - July 24, 2008 - Charge up your Proton Packs and get the P.K.E. Meter running! One of the most popular animated series in television history to spin off from a major motion picture, The Real Ghostbusters
, will soon be available for the first time on home video from Time Life. The 25-DVD set includes all 147 astonishing episodes of the seven-season series for over 55 hours of ghost-busting goodness — in their complete original form, but remastered for picture and audio perfection. Produced by some of the team members behind the legendary Ghostbusters
motion pictures, The Real Ghostbusters
features scripts by some of the top names in animation, science fiction, and horror history, and top-quality visuals, plus a voice cast that included Arsenio Hall, Dave Coulier (Full House
), Maurice LaMarche (Pinky & The Brain
), and many more!
The Real Ghostbusters: The Complete Series
also features over twelve hours of fascinating bonus material, including documentaries and twenty-one innovative on-camera commentary tracks featuring producers, writers, artists, voice actors, and other personnel. Also included is a never-before-seen promotional pilot, over eighty on-camera episode introductions, art and photo galleries, scripts, storyboards, informative booklets, and much, much more.
Housed in a specially-designed box that recalls the award-winning and innovative Man From Uncle
"briefcase packaging" and the Get Smart
"phone booth set," The Real Ghostbusters: The Complete Series
25-DVD set will be available for purchase exclusively online via The Real Ghostbusters
DVD website www.realghostbustersdvd.com for $179.99.
"The Real Ghostbusters
has had a strong and vocal fanbase for years, and the series has been one of the most requested shows for DVD release" says Jeff Peisch, head of Time Life's video division. "Time Life has a long history of releasing classic properties in a way that viewers appreciate, and we intend this Complete Series
release to be extraordinary. From the digitally restored episodes to the extensive bonus materials, this set will have fans calling for the Ghostbusters
again and again."
To produce the most comprehensive selection of extra materials ever seen for a complete animated television series box set, Time Life has engaged the services of Special Features producers Andy Mangels and Reed Kaplan. Mangels is a best-selling novelist, author of Animation on DVD: The Ultimate Guide
, and the producer whom TVShowsOnDVD.com called "legendary." Mangels and Kaplan are producing the five documentaries, 21 commentary tracks, and a multitude of other extra content surprises. The duo were assisted by James Eatock of cereal:geek
magazine. "I hope that fans will be spooked by how much cool material we're putting together for this set," said Mangels. "We're including everything we can, short of duplicating the keys to the Ghostbusters
car, the Ecto-1." Covers for The Real Ghostbusters
set and its interior cases will be by comic artist Emiliano Santalucia and MVCreations.
Spinning off from the box office mega-hit Ghostbusters
(1984), the animated series The Real Ghostbusters
debuted on ABC in September 1986 to tremendous ratings, critical acclaim, and an audience that ranged from kids to adults. The series functioned as a direct sequel to the movie, following New York's paranormal investigator team — Dr. Peter Venkman (voice of Lorenzo Music, later Dave Coulier), Dr. Egon Spengler (Maurice LaMarche), Winston Zeddemore (Arsenio Hall, later Buster Jones), Dr. Ray Stantz (Frank Welker), their secretary Janine Melnitz (Laura Summer, later Kath Soucie) and their gooey green mascot Slimer (Frank Welker) — as they faced ghosts, goblins, trolls, demons, monsters, and even the Boogieman! In 1987, a syndicated version of The Real Ghostbusters
aired Monday-Friday afternoons, while ABC continued to produce the Saturday-morning show.
The Real Ghostbusters
eventually garnered a primetime special — which was nominated for an Emmy® award — and switched to a one-hour format in 1989, titled Slimer! and The Real Ghostbusters
. This later version added a series of Slimer!
short cartoons, aimed at a younger audience, but wacky and clever enough to still appeal to older viewers. By the time the series finally completed its run in 1991, 134 episodes had been created. The Real Ghostbusters
was a hit in worldwide syndication, and also led to hugely successful toy lines, multiple comic book series, and fan clubs and web pages that keep the ghostbusting spirit alive — or undead — today.
About Time Life
Headquartered in Fairfax VA, Time Life Inc. was founded in 1961 as a direct marketing company specializing in music and books. It has since grown to become one of the world's largest direct marketers of audio and video products, selling more than 13 million units each year throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia, and is the largest advertiser of music products in Germany, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Time-Life set the standard in the direct response industry by pioneering direct marketing techniques, building one of the most trusted and recognized brands in commerce. The company now also sells their products through major traditional and non-traditional retailers around the world as well as via the Internet. Time Life is a registered trademark of Time Warner Inc. used under license by Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which is not affiliated with Time Warner Inc.
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES
Ship date: November 20, 2008
List price: $179.99
Online Exclusive Collection includes [contents subject to change]:
- 25 total DVDs packaged in a specially-constructed box. 24 DVDs contain 134 episodes of The Real Ghostbusters, a special double-length alternate episode, and 13 episodes of Slimer!
- 5 DVD digipak subsets with individual covers, each packaged with a 16-page booklet, including episode synopses, trivia, and art.
- 1 Bonus DVD contains over three hours of bonus materials, including extended interviews, the never-before-seen promotional pilot (with commentary and storyboards), and more.
- 5 Documentaries spotlight Creating The Real Ghostbusters, Animating The Real Ghostbusters, The Heroes of The Real Ghostbusters, The Creatures of The Real Ghostbusters, and The Green World of Slimer.
- 21 innovative on-camera commentary tracks feature producers, writers, artists, voice actors, and other The Real Ghostbusters personnel. Watch the commentary participants as they interact, while inset screens show the episode and a dynamic slideshow.
- 86 special episodic introductions showcase the talented people behind The Real Ghostbusters.
- Exclusive interviews with Joe Medjuck (Executive Producer), Michael C. Gross (Executive Producer), J. Michael Straczynski (Writer & Story Editor), Len Janson (Writer & Story Editor), Maurice LaMarche (Voice Of "Egon Spengler"), Laura Summer (Voice Of First "Janine Melnitz"), Kath Soucie (Voice Of Second "Janine Melnitz"), Kevin Altieri (Director & Storyboard Supervisor), Kathryn M. Drennan (Writer), Michael Edens (Writer), David Gerrold (Writer), Pamela Hickey (Writer), Dennys J. McCoy (Writer), Francis Moss (Writer), Richard T. Mueller (Writer), Marc Scott Zicree (Writer), Marsha Goodman (Voice Director & Voice Casting), Gabi Payn (Character Designer - Heroes), Everett Peck (Character Designer - Monsters), Michael Diederich (Designer), Brad Rader (Storyboard Artist), Dan Riba (Storyboard Artist), Michael Swanigan (Storyboard Artist), Rich Arons (Animator), Darrell McNeil (Layout Artist), Derdad Aghamalian (Color Key Artist), David S. Karoll (Color Key Artist), and James Eatock (Publisher of cereal:geek Magazine).
- Multiple image galleries of Character Designs, Backgrounds, Model Sheets, Promotional Art, Advertising Art, and more.
- Selection of dialogue-free "Music & Effects" episodic audio tracks
- Original series bumpers and textless "clean credits."
- DVD-ROM Material: Series Bibles, Episodic Scripts and Storyboards in PDF format (Mac/PC compatible).
- Exciting material from the Sierra Ghostbusters; The Video Game
- More features to be announced