In October 2007, and again in October 2008, folks in Canada were treated to the first and second volumes
of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares
, his original 2004 United Kingdom program that the current Fox Network series in the USA was based on. While State-side fans of Gordon Ramsay could import the Canadian DVD releases that were put out by VEI of Toronto, a lot of those fans were hoping that it would get released south of the border at some point. Well, we've got good news for you!
Acorn Media has licensed the USA rights for DVD releases of the U.K.'s Channel 4 version of the program, and are all set to bring out Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - The Complete Series 1
domestically on March 3rd
. It's a 2-disc set with 8 episodes presented in widescreen video, running 387 minutes and accompanied by English subtitles for those who need them. Extras include production notes and a biography of Gordon Ramsay. Cost is $24.99 SRP, but you can pre-order it from Amazon
for $18.99 (pricing is subject to change at Amazon's discretion). Here's the studio description and details, followed by the package art:
The star chef saves failing restaurants from culinary hell.
Go behind the scenes at struggling restaurants with Gordon Ramsay, Britain's most celebrated gourmet. One of the world's top chefs (with 12 Michelin stars to his name) and three-time winner of a Catey award (the British hospitality industry's highest honor), Ramsay knows restaurants top to bottom. And he needs every bit of his expertise to rescue these real-life culinary and commercial disasters in just one week.
Foul-tasting food, chaotic kitchens, misguided menus-Ramsay confronts them all, along with incompetent cooks, boneheaded servers, and painfully obstinate owners. He handles staffers with his profanity-filled, in-your-face style that suffers no fools and spares no egos. Also includes four episodes of Kitchen Nightmares Revisited, in which Ramsay returns to these restaurants on the brink to see whether his shock treatment worked. After just a few episodes of this International Emmy®-winning reality series, you'll never dine out quite the same again.
DVD FEATURES INCLUDE production notes and biography of Gordon Ramsay.
Contains strong coarse language.
- Disc 1:
- Episode 1: Bonapartes (Silsden, West Yorkshire) - In the basement of a wine bar in a working-class town, Gordon finds a disengaged owner, an incompetent 21-year-old chef, and far-from-fine dining.
- Episode 2: Bonapartes Revisited - Returning to Bonapartes six months later, Gordon gets a decidedly cool welcome.
- Episode 3: The Glass House (Ambleside, The Lake District) - At a nearly bankrupt restaurant in a town with plenty of tourist traffic, the head chef mismanages his team and turns the kitchen into chaos.
- Episode 4: The Glass House Revisited - Later, Gordon returns to poach two junior chefs.
- Disc 2
- Episode 5: Walnut Tree Inn (Abergavenny, Wales) - Celebrity chef Franco Taruschio once earned this posh dining spot a Michelin star. But new owner Francesco needs a take-charge head chef-desperately.
- Episode 6: Walnut Tree Inn Revisited - On a return visit, Gordon butts heads with Francesco again.
- Episode 7: Moore Place (Esher, Surrey) - Despite golfers galore as potential patrons, Moore Place has an empty dining room, maybe because it relies too much on its deep fryer and microwaves.
- Episode 8: Moore Place Revisited - Before reassessing the restaurant himself, Gordon sends in a spy.