The best-selling factual series of all time is now even better! Planet Earth took the world by storm when it originally aired: it garnered uniformly glowing reviews, won four Emmy Awards, including Best Nonfiction Series and Best Cinematography, and its longevity on the best-seller list is legend. Now, with the addition of all new commentary and new bonus programs, you can relive this incredible experience all over again!
From the highest mountains to the deepest oceans, Planet Earth illuminates the wonders of our astonishing world like never before. It’s a celebration of the spectacular diversity of our planet, revealing the vast as well as the intimate as only high definition cinematography can. In this truly special edition, prepare to be overwhelmed again by the beauty and majesty of Planet Earth.
The new, 6-disc Planet Earth Special Edition is also available in a special, limited, numbered collector’s edition globe package! All six discs, plus a set of 4 exclusive art cards featuring some of the most stunning images from the series are housed in a sturdy, weighted globe that's been numbered for greater collectability. Available with both the DVD and Blu-ray.
Back in May we passed along word
from the BBC that they are preparing a new Planet Earth - The Complete Collection: Special Edition
on DVD and high-def Blu-ray Disc, available later this year. Now the studio has formally announced the title, scheduling it for October 4th
Each 6-disc set will not only be available in both standard and HD formats, but also available in those formats in a Limited Edition "globe"-style packaging (see picture below). Cost of the DVD versions will be $59.98 SRP for the standard package and $79.98 SRP for the numbered Planet Earth - The Complete Collection: Limited Collectors' Edition
packaging. For those who prefer Blu, your prices are $79.98 SRP for the regular package, and $99.98 SRP for the high definition version of the LE
In our original story was an overview of the new bonus material that would be found on the updated, upgraded sets. Now the studio has provided a better list of the special features you'll get on this title. We've got that for you, followed by a look at the "globe" Limited Collectors' Edition
DVD package in a "beauty shot" layout, then a look at the standard DVD box, and then an open "beauty shot" look at the standard package for the Blu-ray version of this new Special Edition
- All New Special Features on both Blu-ray and DVD:
- Commentary on select episodes
- Great Planet Earth Moments - Relive the greatest moments of this revolutionary series and discover how these scenes were captured on film!
- Snow Leopard: Beyond the Myth - The BBC Natural History Unit explores a secret cave deep in the mountains of Pakistan where generations of snow leopards return each year to raise their young.
- Secrets of the Maya Underworld - The freshwater pools that dot Mexico's Yucatan peninsula were believed by the Mayans to be portals to the underworld. For the first time ever, the BBC Natural History Unit explores this incredible, labyrinthine system of underground rivers.
- Elephant Nomads of the Namib Desert - Follow the struggle for survival of two female elephants trying to raise their young in one of the harshest climates on Earth.
- "Music Only" viewing option
- Special Sneak Peek at Executive Producer Alastair Fothergill's next blockbuster project: Frozen Planet (TBC)
- Original DVD Special Features now also on Blu-ray:
- 110 minutes of behind the scenes footage - one 10-minute behind the scenes program for each episode
- Planet Earth: The Future - This 3-part series looks at what the future may hold for endangered animals, habitats and - ultimately - ourselves. Following the environmental issues raised by Planet Earth, it asks why so many species are threatened and how they can be protected in future.