FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE"Mesmerizing...never less than spellbinding; haunting" - New York Times
"Stunning; a perfect trinity of action, emotion and intellect" - The Wall Street Journal
"One of the stellar TV events of the year" (Newsday)
Becomes the Home Entertainment Event of the Year When
The Epic 10-Part, Critically-Acclaimed HBO Miniseries,
Releases on DVD and Blu-ray November 2, 2010
Exclusive Bonus Content Includes Extensive Historical Backgrounds, a 'Making Of,' Profiles
of the Real Marines of The Pacific, Enhanced Viewing, Field Guides and Much More!
New York, N.Y., June 4, 2010 - One of the most anticipated home entertainment releases of the year - The Pacific
- premieres day and date on DVD and Blu-ray on November 2, 2010, perfectly timed for the holidays. Exclusively from HBO Home Entertainment, the six-disc DVD and Blu-ray sets include all 10 parts of the acclaimed miniseries, along with a wealth of exciting bonus materials for the suggested retail price of $79.99 and $99.98 respectively.
Hailed by critics nationwide as "brilliant" (Entertainment Weekly
), "universally excellent" (Los Angeles Times
), and "magnificent; a bloody masterpiece" (TV Guide
), The Pacific
is a Playtone and DreamWorks production executive produced by Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman, the team behind the Emmy Award-winning and Golden Globe-winning 2001 HBO miniseries Band of Brothers
, the best selling TV on DVD of all time. Hanks and Goetzman also executive produced the HBO miniseries John Adams
, which won a record-breaking 13 Emmys in 2008.
tracks the real-life journeys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie (James Badge Dale, The Departed
), Eugene Sledge (Joe Mazzello, The Sensation of Sight
) and John Basilone (Jon Seda, Close to Home
) - across the vast canvas of the Pacific theater during World War II. The miniseries follows these men and their fellow Marines from their first battle with the Japanese on Guadalcanal, through the rain forests of Cape Gloucester and the strongholds of Peleliu, across the bloody sands of Iwo Jima, through the horror of Okinawa, and finally to their triumphant but uneasy return home after V-J Day.
on DVD is overflowing with exclusive and informative content that will further enrich the audience's understanding of the war. The viewer will learn more about the events of the Pacific theater and the real Marines depicted in the miniseries, and will have access to a more in-depth look at the making of this epic event. Features include:
- "Historical Backgrounds" - the five-minute prologues that set the stage for each episode and additional historical footage narrated by Tom Hanks.
- "Making The Pacific" - go behind the scenes and take an inside look at the making of this epic, 10-part miniseries.
- "Profiles of The Pacific" - delve into the lives of the real Marines featured in The Pacific. Get a personal perspective on their families, their war experience and their lives after the war in these intimate portraits.
- "Anatomy of The Pacific War" - explore the historical influences and cultural perceptions that led to the merciless brutality in the Pacific theater of World War II.
Presented in HD 1080p video and DTS-HD master audio, The Pacific
on Blu-ray elevates the viewing experience to the ultimate level. It contains all the bonus materials found on the DVD version, along with two interactive companion features that maximize the use of Blu-ray technology and provide a superior viewing experience to the miniseries or DVD alone. These engaging and extensive features will captivate audiences and allow fans to delve deeper into the historical details behind the war and provide enhanced insight into the lives and experiences of the Marines through exclusive, first-hand accounts. Features include:
- "The Pacific Enhanced Viewing" - the ultimate viewing companion to The Pacific. Learn more about the Marines and gain a deeper historical understanding of the battles while watching the miniseries with Enhanced Viewing, a 10-part, 10-hour, picture-in-picture experience. Exclusive content includes interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps and more.
- "The Pacific Field Guide" - allows viewers to navigate through the major events featured in The Pacific in this standalone, interactive Field Guide. Search within for categories to view exclusive content including animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs and more.
The miniseries is based in part on the books Helmet for My Pillow
by Robert Leckie and With the Old Breed
by Eugene B. Sledge, with additional material from Red Blood, Black Sand
by Chuck Tatum and China Marine
by Eugene B. Sledge, as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers.
DVD & Blu-ray Disc
Street Date: November 2, 2010
Runtime: Approx. 530 minutes (excluding bonus features)
Price: $79.99 SD SRP
Price: $99.98 BD SRP
About HBO Home Entertainment
In its 25 years in operation, HBO Home Entertainment has earned a worldwide reputation as a pioneer in the DVD industry as well as the digital technology and Internet frontiers. The first company to successfully release full-length TV series in the DVD format, HBO Home Entertainment created a new category for consumers with titles like Sex and the City, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers (which remains the #1 selling TV-on-DVD since its release in 2002), and the most recent hit True Blood. In addition, HBO Home Entertainment's catalog contains theatrical features such as My Big Fat Greek Wedding, one of the top 10 selling DVDs of all time. The company was also the first in the world to release television programming in the new Blu-ray high-definition format in 2006. It was also one of the first in the video industry to use the Internet to expand its marketing beyond traditional vehicles and to revolutionize DVD packaging with the creation of releases that have won multiple awards including a recent DVD Critics Award for The Sopranos: The Complete Series - a first for television. In addition, the division utilizes innovative manufacturing-on-demand technology to broaden its number of releases and sells digital versions of its titles via the Internet. Today, HBO Home Entertainment's reach has grown to over 70 countries around the world, bringing HBO branded entertainment to a global audience.