FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE"Epic" - Variety
"A masterpiece in the making" - The Washington Post
GAME OF THRONES:
THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON
Available February 18, 2014 on Blu-ray
with HBO Select, DVD & Digital Download
Acclaimed Series is Best-Selling
TV-on-BD/DVD Title for Second Consecutive Year
Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Content Including Comprehensive Guides,
Illustrated Histories and an In-Depth Look at "The Rains of
Castamere," One of the Most Talked About TV Episodes of 2013
New York, N.Y., November 14, 2013 - Featuring one of the most shocking episodes of all time, the third season of the HBO series Game of Thrones
captured headlines and captivated audiences with its gruesome battles and political intrigue. The season was "bigger than ever" (Entertainment Weekly
) - and the most nominated series at the 2013 Emmy Awards. Bring home a piece of TV history when Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season
makes its highly anticipated debut on Blu-ray with HBO Select ($79.98), DVD ($59.99) and Digital Download on February 18, 2014. Game of Thrones
is consistently the hottest BD/DVD title on the home entertainment charts, with seasons one and two currently ranked as the fastest-selling TV-on-BD releases of all time. The BD and DVD sets are packed with special features that further explore the characters, families and politics that populate the richly drawn world of Westeros.
In Season 3
, the battling families of the Seven Kingdoms continue to fight for power as bonds are strained, loyalties are tested and cruel fates are met. The Lannisters barely hold on to power after a savage naval onslaught from Stannis Baratheon, while stirrings in the North threaten to alter the overall balance of power. Robb Stark, King in the North, faces major calamity in his efforts to build on his victories over the Lannisters, and beyond the Wall, Mance Rayder and his huge army of wildlings continue their inexorable march south. Across the Narrow Sea, Daenerys Targaryen - reunited with her three fast-maturing dragons - attempts to raise an army to sail with her from Essos, in hopes of eventually claiming the Iron Throne for herself.
The Blu-ray with HBO Select and DVD bonus materials in Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season
contain multiple featurettes, extended and deleted scenes, and audio commentaries. Additional features on the BD release include interactive guides, illustrated histories, and an extensive feature on the creation of "The Rains of Castamere," containing nearly two hours of never-before-seen material, as well as new looks at the infamous "Red Wedding."
Blu-ray with HBO Select - includes all DVD features plus:
- In-Episode Guide - In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- "The Rains of Castamere" Unveiled - Get an in-depth look at the creation of the most pivotal episode of Season 3 in this comprehensive exposé featuring cast and crew.
- The Roots of Westeros - Explore the interconnected web of relationships, rivalries and conflicts between the noble houses of Westeros with this interactive guide.
- Histories & Lore - Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves.
- "A Gathering Storm" Featurette - Look back at the stormy events of Season 2 in this 14-minute recap with cast and crew.
- "The Politics of Marriage" Featurette - The concept of matrimony in Westeros is all about making power plays and political alliances. Cast and crew examine this ancient institution and its place in Game of Thrones.
- "Inside the Wildlings" Featurette - Go beyond the Wall with this introduction to the wildlings to gain a better understanding of their backstory.
- New Characters of Season 3 - Meet the new faces in Season 3: Olenna Tyrell, Missandei, Mance Rayder, Tormund Giantsbane, Orell, Jojen & Meera Reed, Blackfish & Edmure Tully, Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrion.
- Deleted/Extended Scenes - Five deleted and extended scenes.
- Audio Commentaries - 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Michelle Fairley, Kit Harington, Richard Madden and more.
Based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling book series A Song of Ice and Fire
, the third season of Game of Thrones
features returning cast members Emmy and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Rory McCann (Sandor "The Hound" Clegane), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), James Cosmo (Commander Mormont), Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell).
New cast members for Season 3
include: Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder), Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell, Emmy-nominated for her role), Mackenzie Crook (Orell), Clive Russell (Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully), Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei), Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon), Paul Kaye (Thoros of Myr), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed), Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed), Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Philip McGinley (Anguy), Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse Baratheon), Tobias Menzies (Edmure Tully), Anton Lesser (Qyburn), Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) and Noah Taylor (Locke). The series executive producers are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin, Vanessa Taylor; produced by Chris Newman, Greg Spence.
Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season
Blu-ray with HBO Select, DVD & Digital Download
Street Date: February 18, 2014
Runtime: Approx. 555 minutes (not including extra features)
Price: $79.98 Blu-ray with HBO Select (5 BD Discs, 2 DVD discs)
$59.99 DVD (5 Discs)
About HBO Home Entertainment
HBO Home Entertainment develops, distributes and markets an extensive array of critically-acclaimed and groundbreaking programs in three formats: Blu-ray, DVD, and digitalthroughout the world. Releases include the global hits Game of Thrones, True Blood and Girls, favorites such as The Sopranos, Sex and the City and Entourage, and multiple Emmy Award-winning mini-series The Pacific and Band of Brothers. The company's catalog contains hundreds of titles including the Peabody Award-winning children's program Classical Baby, provocative programs from HBO Documentary Films including The Weight of the Nation, innovative movies from HBO Films including Game Change and Behind the Candelabra,and comedy specials featuring stand-up performers like George Lopez and Ricky Gervais. Launched in 1984, HBO Home Entertainment has offices in New York, London and Toronto and the company's releases are sold in over 80 territories around the world.