The turning points in the careers of nine historical Edwardian figures are explored in this 8-part series The Edwardians
, which was produced in 1972 by the BBC and partially aired in the USA a few years afterward as part of Masterpiece Theater
. BBC Video and Warner Home Video have announced that you can get all 8 episodes on DVD this October 14th
- Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce - Looks at the relationship between Henry Royce (Michael Jayston), the electical engineer who had just made his first car, and Charles Rolls (Robert Powell), a motor dealer looking for a reliable model to sell.
- Horatio Bottomly - Timothy West plays the financier, founder of John Bull, fraud and swindler.
- E. Nesbitt - Judy Parfitt stars as the author of "The Railway Children" who lived in a menage a trois with her husband and his mistress.
- Conan Doyle - Nigel Davenport stars as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of Sherlock Holmes, who starts behaving like his character.
- Baden-Powell - Is our image of the heroic Boer War General correct? This closer look at Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scout movement, stars Robert Moody.
- The Reluctant Juggler - A look at music hall performer Marie Lloyd (Georgia Brown) and her role in the 1907 Music Hall strike.
- Daisy - Virginia McKenna stars as the mistress of Edward VII, who became a convert to socialism.
- Lloyd George - The paradox of a government politician (Anthony Hopkins) who was a force for social change and a great negotiator but an untiring philanderer as well.
The box art, shown below, notes that this is a 4-disc set, but the official studio info we were given indicates a 2-disc "flipper" (DVD-18) set instead. Running time is 635 minutes, with full screen video and English mono audio. English subtitles are also included. Cost is going to be $49.98 SRP.