The DoctorWho.TV site, an official website of BBC Worldwide, yesterday posted an article
explaining that Doctor Who - Story #120: The Visitation: Special Edition
is coming to DVD all over the globe this spring. They current give a release date of Monday, May 6th in both Region 2 (Europe/UK) and Region 1 (USA/Canada), as well as a late-April date for Region 4 (Australia)...but they note that "release dates are provisional and subject to change
"; something we're absolutely certain will be the case for North America, because distributor Warner Home Video never releases items into stores on any other date besides Tuesday, except for the occasional Friday release of a blockbuster film (this obviously wouldn't qualify). They also show an image that's indicated to be part of the cover art, but since U.K. and USA box art isn't always the same for classic Doctor Who
, we're going to wait on the official BBC/Warner announcement to retailers before we bring that to you. Here's the list of extras provided, however:
- Commentary with Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor), Janet Fielding (Tegan), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric) and director Peter Moffatt.
- Grim Tales - Brand-new 45-minute documentary. Former companion Mark Strickson takes Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Sarah Sutton back to the original filming locations while other cast and crew discuss their memories of the story.
- The Television Centre of the Universe: Part One - Peter Davison, Mark Strickson and Janet Fielding return to BBC Television Centre and meet up with old friends and colleagues to reminisce on their time in the iconic building.
- Doctor Forever: The Apocalypse Element - Examining the world of Doctor Who on audio. Including interviews with Colin Baker, Russell T Davies, Mark Gatiss and many others.
- Film Trims Shots and sequences cut from the finished programme
- Directing Who: Peter Moffatt
- Writing A Final Visitation
- Scoring The Visitation - Interview with composer Paddy Kingsland
- Subtitle Production Notes
- Radio Times listings and BBC Sales Sheet
- Photo Gallery
- Coming soon trailer
- Isolated Music Score
- Easter Egg
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
Our thanks to reader Matthew Ryan for the heads-up about this. We would also like to thank the LARGE number of readers who pointed us toward DoctorWho.TV's article last Friday
confirming that the upcoming classic release of Doctor Who - Story #029: The Tenth Planet
will including an animated version of the missing episode. We actually indicated this in our Shada write-up
last October, but it's good that it's been made formally publicly now. Stay tuned for further developments on both of these items, when the studio makes it official.