2 months ago we passed along
the happy news that the long-awaited 1996 adventure of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor was finally cleared, rights-wise, for DVD release outside of the U.K., and would be out in North America sometime in 2011. Today the BBC and distributor Warner Home Video announced that February 8th
would see the release of Doctor Who - The Movie: Special Edition
as a 2-disc set. Also available on the same day will be another 2-DVD release, Jon Pertwee as the 3rd Doctor in Doctor Who - Story #063: The Mutants
, with Katy Manning as companion Jo Grant (soon to guest in The Sarah Jane Adventures
!), plus an appearance by Geoffrey Palmer (As Time Goes By, Tomorrow Never Dies, A Fish Called Wanda
). Below are the details, with finalized package art for both shown at the bottom.
Before we got on with that, however, the Doctor Who
fanboy in me has officially gotten his hopes up for some sort of televised return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor in the future (possibly in a cross-over event with Matt Smith's 11th Doctor?). The reason those hopes of mine have been sparked is because over the past weekend our friends at the Doctor Who
News Page posted a story
(with pictures) of McGann at the Armageddon Pop Culture Expo in Auckland, New Zealand, showing off what was described as "the 'new' costume for the Eighth Doctor...consist
[ing] of a double-breasted black Naval jacket, with gold buttons
." A wooden-handled Sonic Screwdriver and a courier pouch bag also came up; see Chuck Foster's write-up over there for details and pics. Their article mentions that "the new costume - still a work in progress - is said to be used for future promotional purposes
." It seems to me, personally, like a return to the small screen would be the BEST possible reason to promote the 8th Doctor. Of course, I'm possibly jumping to conclusions; perhaps it's all just for a new action figure or some other piece of merchandising. But a fan can dream, can't he? For now, however, let's get back to the DVD reality that is presently available!
Doctor Who - The Movie: Special Edition (Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor)
2 discs, 86 minutes, 1 feature-length "episode," full frame video, English stereo audio, English subtitles, $34.98 SRP
The Doctor is returning home to Gallifrey with the remains of his arch-nemesis, the Master. Forced off course, the TARDIS arrives in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1999, where the Doctor is critically wounded in a gangland gun battle. At the local hospital, Dr. Grace Holloway fights - and fails - to save his life. Later, in the morgue, the Doctor wakes up a new man. But he is not the only one: the Master has also found himself a new body. As the clock counts down to the start of the new millennium, can the Doctor stop his oldest enemy from destroying all life on Earth?
- Audio Commentaries:
- With Director Geoffrey Sax, previously recorded for the 2000 U.K. DVD
- Newly-recorded commentary with Paul McGann and Sylvester McCoy, moderated by modern Dalek voice actor Nicholas Briggs
- "The Seven Year Hitch" - Documentary about the seven-year quest to return Doctor Who to the screen.
- "The Doctor's Strange Love" - Writers Joe Lidster, Simon Guerrier & comedian Josie Long learn to love the film
- Photo Gallery
- Music Tracks (Isolated Music Score and 4 Tracks from the Film, in full)
- PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
- New Production Notes Subtitle Track
- Visual FX Tests from June 1994 and March 1996 featuring early opening titles tests and legendary Spider Dalek sampler
- Fox Network's Electronic Press Kit for the movie
- 1996 Behind-the-Scenes promo
- Philip Segal's Tour of the TARDIS Set
- Alternate Takes
- BBC Trailers
- "Who Peter 1989-2009" - Second and final part of the series, presented by Gethin Jones
- "The Wilderness Years" - How the show was kept alive between the end of the original series and the production of the movie
- "Stripped for Action: The Eighth Doctor" - A part of the series looking at the comic book stories
- "Tomorrow's Times: The Eighth Doctor" - Another in the series looking at Doctor Who's contemporary coverage
- Easter Eggs (2)
Doctor Who - Story #063: The Mutants (Jon Pertwee as The 3rd Doctor)
2 discs, 145 minutes, 6 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $34.98 SRP
When the strange message pod turns up at UNIT HQ, the Doctor and his assistant Jo suddenly involved in another dangerous mission for the Time Lords. The TARDIS takes them to Skybase One above the inhospitable Solos. It is the 30th century and the planet is about to gain independence from Earth's glorious empire. But someone on Solos has other plans and, alarmingly, the natives are slowly evolving into fierce-looking creatures. It's time for the Doctor and Jo to find out why.
- Audio Commentary with cast (Katy Manning, Garrick Hagon) and crew (Christopher Barry, Terrance Dicks, Bob Baker, Jeremy Bear, Broan Hodgson), moderated by modern Dalek operator Nicholas Pegg
- "Mutt Mad" - The Making of "The Mutants"
- "Race Against Time" - Documentary examining the representation of black actors on British television
- Blue Peter segment featuring Peter Purves discussing Doctor Who monsters
- "Dressing Doctor Who" - James Acheson discusses his work in Doctor Who
- PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
- Production Note Subtitles