Doctor Who - Official BBC Press Release for 'The Complete 6th Series' DVDs, Blu-rays Lists Finalized Extras
6-disc sets in standard and high-def formats, full of bonus material, in stores November 22nd
|Posted by David Lambert
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THE COMPLETE SIXTH SERIES
DVD and Blu-ray on November 22, 2011
October 17, 2011 - Hop in the TARDIS with the Doctor and his companions on November 22, when Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series
is released on Blu-ray and DVD just in time for the holidays. The 6-disc set combines all 13 episodes of the new season from award-winning lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat (Sherlock, The Adventures of Tintin
), along with the 2010 Holiday Special, A Christmas Carol
, starring Harry Potter
's Michael Gambon, plus hours of bonus features.
The series follows the adventures of the Doctor, a mysterious traveler who journeys throughout all of time and space, picking up companions along the way. BAFTA nominee Matt Smith (the Doctor), Karen Gillan (Amy Pond), Arthur Darvill (Rory) and Alex Kingston (River Song) are back when the Doctor faces his date with death, and learns a lot more about the mysterious River Song.
Guest stars include Mark Sheppard (Supernatural, Battlestar Galactica
), Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey, Notting Hill
), supermodel Lily Cole (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
), James Corden (Gavin & Stacey, The History Boys
), and David Walliams (Little Britain, Come Fly With Me
). Catch a surprise appearance by NBC's Meredith Vieira in the series finale, as well as Michael Sheen (The Twilight Saga, Midnight in Paris
) voicing a character in Neil Gaiman's episode, and Imelda Staunton (Cranford, Vera Drake
) voicing a character in Tom MacRae's episode. Executive producers are Piers Wenger (Upstairs Downstairs, Ashes to Ashes
) and Beth Willis (Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes
Doctor Who: Series 6, Part 1, Doctor Who: Series 6, Part 2
and Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol
are also available for purchase separately on DVD and Blu-ray.
- 2011 was the biggest year ever for Doctor Who in the U.S. The iconic sci-fi series delivered record ratings and earned critical acclaim on BBC AMERICA, and was featured on Today, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, and Attack of the Show. Matt Smith also earned a BAFTA nomination this year for his role as The Doctor, the first time an actor in that role has ever received a nomination.
- Star Matt Smith won the 2011 SPIKE Scream Award for Best Science Fiction Actor. Nominees included Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Evans.
- Hit series South Park, Community, Criminal Minds, Futurama and Grey's Anatomy all tipped their hat to Doctor Who with references in episodes this year.
- This past July, stars Matt Smith and Karen Gillan made their San Diego Comic-Con debut for a standing-room-only Doctor Who panel in front of 7000 fans in the famed Hall H.
- The new season includes a two-part premiere set in the U.S., and an episode penned by long-time Doctor Who fan and award-winning writer Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Neverwhere, The Sandman).
- Five "Night and the Doctor" specially recorded scenes exclusive to this release
- Five specially recorded episode prequels
- Two sketches recorded for the UK's Comic Relief charity event
- Four Monster Files - Get under the skin and inside the minds of the Doctor's most challenging opponents
- Doctor Who Confidential - An inside look at each episode
- Bonus Doctor Who Confidential - "A Night's Tale" about the exclusive scenes
- Audio Commentary on select episodes
DOCTOR WHO: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SERIES
- "Just about anyone with a pulse can enjoy Doctor Who, it's that good and that much fun, but if there are Lost fans out there who've never tried this frisky British import, now's the time to get on board." - AOL, Maureen Ryan
- "...along with Fringe, it's the best sci-fi on television" - New York Post, Steven Lynch
- "...even in the midst of all the time puzzle questions, the tears and the creepy monsters, there was still plenty of room for Moffat's brand of madcap comedy" - Hit Fix, Alan Sepinwall
- "What Doctor Who gives us, that so much science fiction does not nowadays with its pathological analysis of heroism, are romantic mad adventurers, not without their moments of doubt and pain but having a good time in between: The series conducts its serious business with a good deal of comedy."- Los Angeles Times, Robert Lloyd
- "Quite Possibly the Best Doctor Who Season Opener of All Time" - io9, Charlie Jane Anders
Street Date: November 22, 2011
Suggested Retail Price: DVD $79.98 ($99.90 in Canada); Blu-ray $89.98 ($109.50 in Canada)
Length: Approx. 645 minutes/ 6 Discs
BBC Worldwide is the main commercial arm and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBC Worldwide America, with headquarters in New York and Los Angeles, brings together all of BBC Worldwide's businesses in the U.S. The company exists to maximize the value of the BBC's assets for the benefit of the UK license payer, and invests in public service programming in return for rights. The U.S. company has six core businesses: Channels, Sales and Distribution, Content and Production, Home Entertainment, Digital Media and Magazines. Under these businesses fall two key brands in the U.S. - digital cable channel BBC America and a bi-coastal production arm responsible for the smash hit Dancing with the Stars for ABC.