Early in October we revealed
that - according to word
at Amazon.ca, the Canadian branch of the mega e-tailer - the classic Who
titles on the March slate would start with 3 "revisitation" titles: Doctor Who - Story #037: The Tomb Of The Cybermen: Special Edition
(Patrick Troughton's 2nd Doctor), Doctor Who - Story #065: The Three Doctors: Special Edition
(Jon Pertwee's 3rd Doctor joining forces with the 1st and 2nd Doctors against Omega) and Doctor Who - Story #090: The Robots Of Death: Special Edition
(Tom Baker's 4th Doctor. Today the BBC has confirmed that these will indeed be released on March 13th
, exactly as we previously reported. But we've learned that they will be joined by a fourth title as well: the new-to-DVD release of Doctor Who - Story #089: The Face of Evil
, starring Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor and introducing the character of companion "Leela," played by Louise Jameson.
The cost is $34.98 SRP for the 2-disc sets of The Tomb Of The Cybermen: Special Edition
and The Three Doctors: Special Edition
, while the list price is $24.98 SRP for the single-disc releases of both The Robots Of Death: Special Edition
and The Face of Evil
. The running time is approximately 100 minutes for all 4 of these classic releases, and each of them are restored and remastered in both audio and video. The complete list of bonus material for each of these items hasn't been fully disclosed yet by the studio, but below we've got a list of the release descriptions and any extras which have been revealed so far. Further down is high-res 3D package art for all four titles!
- The Tomb of the Cybermen - Special Edition: For centuries, the disappearance of the Cybermen from the universe has been a mystery. The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive on Telos - once the Cyber home world - just as an Earth expedition uncovers the entrance to a long-lost control center filled with baffling technology. With the Doctor's help, the archaeological party discovers the last of the Cybermen, frozen and entombed in a vast underground cavern. But by entering the tombs, the humans have sprung a fiendish trap. All around them, the Cybermen begin to rise from the dead.
- Audio Commentary: by actors Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling
- Documentaries: Tombwatch (panel of the cast and crew). Behind the scenes at BBC Visual Effects
- Outtakes: unused title sequence and 8mm cine footage
- Production Notes: Optional caption stream
- The Three Doctors - Special Edition: The Time Lords are in crisis. A powerful force is draining their energy into a mysterious Black Hole - and they must recruit the Doctor to save them. But one Doctor isn't enough for this mission. All three of the Doctor's incarnations, aided by Jo Grant and UNIT, must face the wrath of Omega - a fallen Time Lord trapped in a universe of anti-matter, with one thing on his mind: revenge.
- Audio Commentary: Actors Katy Manning and Nicholas Courtney and producer Barry Letts
- Biographies: Cast
- Interviews: with actors Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Katy Manning, Nicholas Courtney and writers Bob Baker and Dave
- The Face of Evil: When the TARDIS arrives on a jungle planet, the Doctor encounters two warring tribes, the Sevateem and the Tesh. The Sevateem worship a god called Xoanon and the Tesh are supposedly keeping Xoanon prisoner... But why do the Sevateem call the Doctor the Evil One? And what are the invisible creatures in the jungle? The Time Lord, with the help of a girl called Leela, is about to find out.
- The Robots of Death - Special Edition: The TARDIS, carrying the Doctor and his new companion Leela, arrives aboard a huge sandminer on a deserted world. The small human crew relies almost entirely on robots to carry out their every task and whim while they mine the planet's rich minerals. Suddenly, one by one, members of the team start to disappear. The time travelers discover that someone or something is murdering the crew - but, of course, nobody believes it could be the robots.
- Audio Commentary
- Photo gallery