FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEFOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!
CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO COMING TO BLU-RAY
AUGUST 13, 2013
Restored From Original Film Elements
SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
Makes Its Hi Def Debut
Also coming out in August:
THE GREEN DEATH (SPECIAL EDITION)
New York; July 31, 2013 - On August 13, 2013, leading up to the highly anticipated Doctor Who
50th Anniversary, BBC Home Entertainment is celebrating another landmark: the first classic Doctor Who
story ever to be released on Blu-Ray. Doctor Who: Spearhead From Space
achieved many firsts long before its high definition debut: it was the first story of Jon Pertwee's tenure as the Third Doctor, was the first Doctor Who story to be presented in color, and the first to be shot entirely on film. Now it's making history once again as the first classic Doctor Who
Blu-ray, made possible by scanning in the original film elements to create a stunning, true high definition picture.
As punishment for breaking the laws of time, the Time Lords have forced the Doctor to change his appearance, taken away his ability to time travel, and exiled him to Earth. But newly regenerated Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) isn't the only alien to have arrived, as a swarm of meteorites have crashed into the sleepy English countryside, bringing with them a terrible new threat to mankind: the Nestene consciousness, a disembodied alien intelligence with an affinity for plastic. The Doctor and his newly appointed scientific advisor, Liz Shaw (Caroline John), join UNIT in a race against time to stop humanity from being replaced by a terrifying plastic facsimile race.
Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:
- A Dandy and a Clown, an exclusive profile of Jon Pertwee
- Carry On: The Life of Caroline John, a tribute to the actress who played companion Liz Shaw
- Title Sequence Material
- Restoration Comparison, a featurette that looks at the restoration process for this version and compares the results with previous versions
Another Pertwee-era tale arriving in August is the digitally remastered Special Edition
DVD of Doctor Who: The Green Death
, with over 2 hours of bonus material. The story itself, part of Doctor Who's
10th anniversary year, included the departure of companion Jo Grant (played by Katy Manning).
When a man is found dead with his skin glowing green in an abandoned mine, it's not long before the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee), Jo Grant and UNIT head to Wales to investigate. And while the Doctor becomes suspicious of the nearby Global Chemicals factory and its mysterious owner, Jo gets trapped underground where she finds old mine tunnels crawling with deadly and sinister giant maggots.
Bonus features include:
- Audio Commentary with actress Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks
- Bonus Audio Commentary with actors Richard Franklin and Mitzi McKenzie, moderated by Toby Hadoke (episodes 3 - 5); with actress Katy Manning and new series executive producer Russell T Davies (episode 6)
- Global Conspiracy?, a spoof investigative report looks at the strange happenings in the village of Llanfairfach, written by and starring Mark Gatiss
- The One With the Maggots, a making-of featurette
- Robert Sloman Interview
- Stewart Bevan Interview
- The Sarah Jane Adventures - "Death of the Doctor," Parts 1 and 2 with Optional Commentary with actress Katy Manning and series creator Russell T Davies
The iconic sci-fi series, Doctor Who
, celebrates its 50th Anniversary on November 23, 2013.
DOCTOR WHO: SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
Street Date: AUGUST 13, 2013
Suggested Retail Price: Blu-ray $29.98 ($37.48 in Canada)
Length: Approx. 97 mins - bonus materials / single disc
DOCTOR WHO: THE GREEN DEATH (SPECIAL EDITION)
Street Date: AUGUST 13, 2013
Suggested Retail Price: DVD $34.98 ($43.98 in Canada)
Length: Approx. 153 mins - bonus materials / 2-disc set
About BBC Worldwide Americas:
BBC Worldwide is the main commercial arm and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBC Worldwide Americas brings together all of BBC Worldwide businesses across North and South America. The company exists to maximize the value of the BBC's assets for the benefit of the UK license payer, and invests in public service programming in return for rights. The company has five core businesses: Channels, Content & Production, Sales & Distribution, Consumer Products and Digital. Under these businesses fall two key brands in the U.S. - digital cable channel BBC AMERICA and BBC Worldwide Productions, the production arm responsible for the smash hit Dancing with the Stars.