Brian Sewell writes for the London Evening Standard and advises museums on three continents. His numerous awards include the Hawthornden Prize for Art Criticism and the George Orwell Prize for cultural commentary. The famed British art critic leads the ultimate Italian adventure!
In the 18th century, well-bred English gentlemen would undertake a Grand Tour of the Continent for refinement-as well as for drinking, gambling, and sexual adventures-before assuming their place in society. Now, Brian Sewell follows the footsteps of those young aristocrats through Italy, exploring the art and architecture, manners and mores that shaped European civilization.
With unmatched erudition and understated wit, this distinguished British art critic lovingly examines Italy's grandest cultural treasures. His journey takes him through Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, Siena, and Milan, with plenty of stops along the way. More than a mere travelogue, this fascinating series showcases the country's dazzling cathedrals, palazzos, paintings, and sculptures while also giving insight into the travels and travails of tourists past.
Acorn Media's Athena label has announced that the acclaimed UK series will come to DVD as a 4-disc set with Brian Sewell's Grand Tour Of Italy
. This 10-episode collection running 386 minutes, plus extras, will be available in the USA ($79.99 SRP) and Canada (CA$99.99 SRP) beginning on August 4th
. It's presented in widescreen video, with English Stereo audio and English subtitles. Here are the contents, followed by a look at the packaging:
- Episode 1: Mont Cenis Pass, Turin, and Milan
- Episode 2: Cremona, Parma, and Bologna
- Episode 3: Florence
- Episode 4: San Gimignano, Siena, Radicofani, and Orvieto
- Episode 5: Rome
- Episode 6: Naples and New Pompeii
- Episode 7: Paestum, Todi, and Urbino
- Episode 8: Rimini, Ferrara, and Mantua
- Episode 9: Vicenza, Possagno, and Padua
- Episode 10: Venice
- BONUS FEATURES
- 20-page viewer's guide includes highlights, questions to consider, avenues for further learning, "The Things They Carried," and "The End of the Road."
- Biographies of Brian Sewell and Grand Tour artists
- "Side Trips: Tour Tidbits Explained"
- Exclusive web extras